Renting in the NT

IMPORTANT NOTICE: There has been important temporary changes to both the Residential Tenancies Act 1999 and the Business Tenancies (Fair Dealings) Act 2003 that may impact the advice and information provided on this page.

It is important that you first read a full explanation of these changes before you read or download information from this page. The new changes can be found here. If you need help determining how these changes affect your personal circumstances, please don’t hesitate to give us a call on (08) 8999 1999 or 1800 019 319.

Consumer Affairs provides advice to tenants and landlord/agents of residential properties in the Northern Territory. The legislative rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords are outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act 1999.

The landlord/tenant relationship is usually harmonious but difficulties do arise, and sometimes landlords and tenants have different ideas of their respective rights and responsibilities.

A Guide to Renting in the Northern Territory

This guide is to give landlords and tenants an overview of their rights and responsibilities under the Northern Territory Residential Tenancies Act 1999. It is important to note that this information is not the Act itself.

Read the Guide to Renting in the Northern Territory

Keeping Pets in a Rental Property

Changes to the Northern Territory Residential Tenancies Act 1999 commence on 1 January 2021. Some of these changes focus on keeping pets in residential rental properties in the NT.

Previously, the tenant and the landlord negotiated allowing pets as part of the lease agreement. The new changes allow pet ownership, conditional on the type of pet being reasonable for the type and size of the rental property. The changes only apply to lease agreements signed after 1 January 2021 and include having to notify the landlord prior to bringing the pet onto the rental property.

Learn more about keeping pets in rental properties here:

Title PDF file Word file
Keeping Pets in Rental Property Factsheet PDF (727.4 KB)DOCX (437.7 KB)

Tenancy Databases

A tenancy database (or blacklist as it is more commonly known) is a list used by landlords to record personal information about the rental history of their tenants should they default on their tenancy agreement. New Northern Territory Tenancy Database legislation commenced as of 1 July 2018 and helps regulate how entries into these databases are managed and help protect the rights of tenants. The Tenancy Database legislative rights and responsibilities of both tenants and landlords are outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act.

Below is a guide for both Landlords and Tenants:

Title PDF file Word file
Landlord Factsheet PDF (492.4 KB)DOCX (435.6 KB)
Tenant Factsheet PDF (489.6 KB) DOCX (436.4 KB)

Tenancy - Water Charges

Landlords are allowed to pass on the full cost of water consumption provided:

  • the rental premises are individually metered, and
  • the tenancy agreement states the tenant must pay for water consumption.

However, a landlord cannot ask a tenant to pay for charges, levies, rates or taxes, other than a charge payable by the owner or occupier of the premises for electricity, gas or water supplied to the premises.

For general advice about residential tenancies please contact our office on (08) 8999 1999 or by email at


Form No.Title PDF file Word file
RT03 Notice to Remedy Unpaid Rent PDF (721.2 KB) DOC (277.5 KB)
RT04a Notice to Remedy Breach by Landlord PDF (713.6 KB) DOC (272.0 KB)
RT04b Notice to Remedy Breach by Tenant PDF (709.8 KB) DOC (272.0 KB)
RT05 Notice by Landlord to Terminate PDF (720.5 KB) DOC (284.5 KB)
RT06 Notice by Tenant to Terminate PDF (718.9 KB) DOC (283.5 KB)
RT07 Withdrawal of Termination Notice PDF (555.7 KB) DOC (132.0 KB)
RT08 Intention to Retain Deposit & Stat Dec PDF (739.7 KB) DOC (300.5 KB)
RT09 Notice of Entry by Landlord PDF (735.8 KB) DOC (291.0 KB)
RT10 Notice of Rent or Bond Increase PDF (709.3 KB) DOC (267.5 KB)
RT11 Notice of Storage of Goods PDF (566.8 KB) DOC (132.0 KB)
RT12 Unclaimed Tenancy Bond Claim Form PDF (449.1 KB) DOC (131.0 KB)


From 1 June 2015, applications in relation to the Residential Tenancies Act are heard by the Northern Territory Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NTCAT). Applications are required to be lodged on a NTCAT form.

This form, as well as advice on NTCAT procedures and processes, can be found on the NTCAT website:

Northern Territory Consumer Affairs will continue to provide assistance with information and advice on all tenancies matters and notices, excluding Residential Tenancy Applications and processes.



Title PDF file Word file
Breaking a Lease Early PDF (704.0 KB) DOC (60.0 KB)
Moving Out of Home PDF (638.1 KB) DOC (143.5 KB)
Rent Bidding PDF (640.3 KB) DOCX (435.2 KB)
Repairs and Maintenance of Rental Properties PDF (600.8 KB) DOC (60.0 KB)
Share Houses PDF (484.1 KB) DOC (60.0 KB)

Fact Sheets

Title PDF file Word file
Abandoned Goods PDF (854.3 KB) DOCX (441.5 KB)
Boarders, Lodgers and Sub Tenants PDF (740.5 KB) DOCX (436.0 KB)
Breaking a Tenancy Lease Early PDF (877.7 KB) DOCX (440.8 KB)
Moving out before a Shared Tenancy ends PDF (615.8 KB) DOCX (433.9 KB)
Rent Bidding PDF (640.3 KB) DOCX (435.2 KB)
Repairs PDF (867.2 KB) DOCX (446.1 KB)
Resolving Common Tenancy Disputes PDF (870.7 KB) DOCX (446.0 KB)
Sharing a property PDF (626.5 KB) DOCX (435.7 KB)
Security Deposits (Bonds) PDF (610.3 KB) DOCX (434.6 KB)
Unclaimed Residential Tenancy Bonds PDF (614.5 KB) DOCX (434.5 KB)
What Tenants Should Know About Renting PDF (861.2 KB) DOCX (439.5 KB)

Did you receive your bond money back?

If not - then click here for further information.


Selected Determinations from 2006 on are available on a national database of legal cases from the link:

Earlier Determinations are available from the Office of the Commissioner of Tenancies. Contact Consumer Affairs on 1800 019 319.

Last Updated:
07 May 2021

Is there anything wrong with this page?